Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mediterranean Turkey Burgers in Homemade Pitas



I love this meal! It is healthy and so fresh tasting. I think I'll have another one for lunch too. My kids really like this a lot as well. Some eat it with tzatziki sauce and some with mustard.


Med Turkey Burgers
1/2c. panko 
1/4c. feta cheese
2T. minced red onion
2 heaping tablespoons of pesto
1/4t. salt
1/4t. pepper
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 -1/2c chopped sun dried tomatoes
1lb lean ground turkey
6 Calamata olives chopped (optional)
Mix all together and press into patties
Cook in skillet with cooking spray for 6 minutes flipping after 3 minutes and cooking rest of time on other side.
Place in pita with romaine, tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, red onion and cucumbers. Yum!!

Tzatziki Sauce
1c. Greek yogurt
1c. grated cucumbers with out seeds
 a pinch of dill
1-2 T. lemon juice
11/2T. chopped fresh mint
1T. chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 garlic clove minced
3T. diced fine red onion.
Mix altogether and adjust seasonings if needed.

Whole Wheat Pita Bread
11/4c. Warm water
1T. oil
1t. salt
1t. sugar
2 3/4c. whole wheat flour
1/3c. gluten
11/2t. yeast
 Mix altogether until smooth elastic dough. Let rise 1 hour then cut into 8 pieces. Form into balls and roll into 6-7 inch circle. Let rise covered with a towel for 25-35 minutes.  While they are rising preheat oven to 500.
Place 2 rounds on wire rack in middle of oven or right on racks. Bake 3-5 minutes until puffy. Remove and wrap in damp towels. Continue baking rest layering in towels after baking.  Cut in half and fill.

I don't remember where I got this recipe. I think I got in online somewhere but I have been making it for a while now. I have a great white pita too but I try to eat my breads in whole wheat only except on the weekends. Then I indulge a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment