Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jambalaya and Pecan Pretzel Pralines

My family loves this dish and so does everyone that eats it. I based this recipe from  a cookbook recommended to me by a chef in New Orleans. I made this and some other southern foods in honor of Mardi Gras. I'll post those recipes later. It was all delish!

Chicken,Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya

1lb. andouille or smoked spicy sausage sliced into 1/4 inch slices
3 chicken breasts cut up into bite size chunks
2c. onions chopped
1 green and 1 red pepper chopped
1 large tomato copped
4 celery stalks chopped
3T. oil
4 T. flour
1/2  6 oz can tomato paste
1 can of beef consomme'
2 bay leaves
1t. basil and thyme
1/2t. chili powder
1/4t. red pepper
pinch of black pepper
1t. salt
1/4t. cayenne
11/2c. chicken stock
3 cloves garlic minced
1c. chopped okra
11/2c. med. shrimp
6 green onions chopped
3T. parsley chopped

Brown the sausage in 1t. oil. Remove and set aside. Place chicken in pan and brown very well set aside. Add 3T. oil and 4T. flour and make a medium brown roux whisking until flour is all combined and turns brown. Add chopped vegetables except green onions and parsley and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, Add tomato paste and stir well, then add beef consomme and gradually add 11/2c. chicken stock while stirring. Bring to a slow boil, then add meats stirring well. Add seasonings and garlic and let simmer 15 minutes You can add rice at this point with 2-3 cans of broth and cook 25-30 minutes longer covered or do as I do and keep it as a sauce/topping to put on top of rice. I do this only because I am a big saucey girl. I love the sauce so I want more of it rather than having the rice soak it up.  I add green onions, parsley and a couple dashes of tabasco right at end. Serve over rice. Serves 8-10 people.





Pretzel Pecan Pralines
 I love love Pralines. They are so good and sweet. I've been on a sweet and salty kick big time and wanted to try something a little different so the pretzel praline was born. I looked on the internet to see if anyone else had tried this combo and found nada!
They were really good. I liked the extra crunch the pretzels gave and the slight salty factor. My pictures didn't turn out very good since it was at night and they were all gone next day so this is all I have.:( Not to mention this is not a pretty looking treat. So any light isn't going to help much. lol They kinda look like cow pies!! Even though still I will make them again for sure. Especially to go on top of my southern sundaes.





Pretzel Pecan Pralines
1c. brown sugar
1c. white sugar
1/2c. evaporated milk
2T. butter
1/4t. vanilla
1/4t. butter Pecan oil (optional) I add sometimes for more pecan flavor but great without too.
11/4c. pecan halves
1c pretzels broken up a bit for bite size.
Combine sugars and milk and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add butter, pecands and vanill and cook until the syrup reache soft ball stage 238'. cool without disturbing for a few minutes then add pretzels and stir vigorously until starts to thicken but not losing it's gloss. Drop by spoonfuls on greased surface or silpat. They will flatten and harden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment