Wednesday, November 3, 2010

First Post Ever - Lime Chicken

Well here it goes or starts..everyone is always saying I should start a food/recipe blog. I love to cook and bake and am always doing just that. I like to try new things and invent some too. Like most good cooks I can barely follow a recipe exactly. I always have to put my own spin or twist on it. That's what can make it better or just to your own taste. I cook almost every night of the week except Thursday that's leftover night:) and Friday that's date night and we usually go out to dinner. I can't promise that I will post what I make every night but the really great recipes I will for sure.


Since Fall has begun I get to cook/bake certain things I wait to make until then. For example,  all things Pumpkin, a lot of recipes including apples, soups, and chilis. So of course you will be getting some things with certain ingredients in abundance.  But....... My first post isn't any of them. Today I am making a super simple but yummy chicken filling or topping for tacos, burritos, stuffed poblanos, or salad. It is...




Lime Chicken 


5 breasts of chicken
1 can of sprite
1 tsp of salt and pepper
1t. cumin
1-2 T. chipotle in adobo sauce pureed
2 garlic cloves minced
2 limes
1/4c. chopped cilantro


You throw 5 breast of chicken in a crock pot with a can or 1 1/2c. sprite, a tsp of salt and pepper, 1 tsp cumin and 1-2 Tablespoon of chipotles in adobo sauce pureed. (I buy a can and puree the whole thing and store in refrigerator.) We eat a lot of mexican and we like it HOT! You can adjust the amount according to your taste for spiciness. (Is that a word?) Add 1 -2 cloves garlic minced,  Then turn it on to low and let cook for 4-6  hours. Then shred and add the juice of 2 limes and 1/4c. of chopped cilantro. You might need to add more lime juice to taste along with salt and pepper to taste. You can add more ingredients if you are stuffing it in peppers, like green chilies, corn, black beans, and of course cheese. I usually serve this over a salad of romaine with some black beans or pinto, sometimes some rice, cheese, avocado and pico de gallo. My kids eat it in a tortilla with cheese, salsa and sour cream. This recipe is super versatile you can make it to your tastes. So make it to yours and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment