Monday, November 15, 2010

Apple Streusel and Toffee filled Cake

I love this cake. I didn't get good pictures of it and it didn't look as pretty as usual. I was in a huge hurry making it. I made two cakes this weekend for my sister's birthday. She couldn't decide between two different cakes so I did both. I'll post the second ice cream cake following this one.

This cake is very sweet. Might be over the top for some people but, I like my desserts super sweet almost to the point of gagging. Kinda weird I know. Maybe it's so I will eventually have to stop eating it.

The cake is chock full of apples, streusel and toffee bits. Then it is frosted with either caramel frosting between the layers and then cream cheese frosting on top with caramel drizzled on it or cream cheese frosting  in between and on top with caramel drizzle. This time I did cream cheese on all of it.



Here is the cakes cooling before frosting. See the streusel on top. Here it is in the fridge trying to speed up the frosting setting since it is so hot in my house today.


All done ready to transport to my sisters. Sorry about the pics.



 Apple Streusel and Toffee filled Cake
1C. oil
2C. sugar
2 eggs
3c. flour
1t. baking soda
1t. baking Powder
1t. cinnamon
3C. diced or grated apples about 4 large
1c. nuts ( I use Pecans my fav.)
1t. salt
1t. vanilla

Mix wet ingredients together and dry ingredients together then mix together and stir in apples

Streusel
1/2c. flour
1/2c. brown sugar
3 T. Butter and 2t. cinnamon
mix til crumbly 
add in 1/4c -1/2c. toffee bits
Line with parchment or wax paper 2-  9 inch round pans and grease.
Put some batter in pan .then sprinkle streusel then put batter on top and more streusel. Do this to other pan as well.
Bale 350 about 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool
10 minutes on rack then remove from pan. Let cool


Caramel Frosting
8 oz. Cream cheese softened
1/4c. butter 
2t. vanilla
1c. brown sugar
Beat until all mixed and no graininess is left. 
Frost in between layers of cake

frost top with Cream cheese frosting

Cream cheese Frosting
8oz. softened cream cheese
6 T. butter
1t. vanilla
3c. powdered sugar
 mix until fluffy and smooth

Drizzle caramel sauce over top of cake and pool a little in middle you can garnish with Pecans and toffee bits in middle


No comments:

Post a Comment